Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Hi Grandma!!!!!


I took a different route on my daily walk today. In an impulsive attempt to follow in my own grandmother's footsteps I decided to walk to the Post Office. (Though her walk may have been blocks, mine was 4 miles round trip, but worth every step!) I was easing through a newer subdivision when I heard a door slam. Across the lawn I saw a little boy dashing toward a small kennel (we used to call it a "dog house") at the edge of the property. No more than three years old, this little guy was rushing out to greet his equally enthusiastic dog! Lots of squealing and hugging and wiggling ensued as I watched the two devoted friends play. Heartwarming...
I heard the door slam a second time. It was the Mom. "Come on!" she called. "We have to go now!" As the little guy turned toward Mom he caught sight of me walking down his street. "Hi Grandma!!!" he hollered and started racing straight toward me. Mom intervened, however, scooped him up and looked at me apologetically. "Sorry," she said. "Not at all," was what I said, but I was really thinking how wonderfully he had brightened my day. I am a grandma, and don't mind being taken for one! You know, I felt the same adoration for my Grandma; and my own children feel that way about theirs!

...and I look forward to the day when each of my own grandchildren will greet me that enthusiastically and race out to see me with outstretched arms.

1 comment:

Seeker said...

When they call you grandma it's the sweetest sound. What a badge of honor has been passed down to us!