Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Rhubarb Custard Bars

I wish I could share my rhubarb with you. I have way more than I can possibly use. But if you happen to have some, here is the most delicious way to eat it I have ever found!

Rhubarb Custard Bars
Crust:
2 c. flour
¼ c. sugar
1 c. cold butter or margarine
Combine flour, sugar in medium bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into greased 9 by 13 in. pan. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

Filling:
2 c. sugar
7 T. flour
1 C. whipping cream
3 eggs beaten
5 cups finely chopped fresh rhubarb
While crust is baking prepare filling by combining sugar and flour in large bowl. Whisk in cream and eggs. Stir in rhubarb. Pour over baked crust. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until custard mixture is firm. Remove from oven and cool.

Topping:
2 pkgs. 3 oz. each cream cheese softened
½ c. sugar
½ tsp. vanilla
1 c. whipping cream, whipped until stiff peaks have formed.
Prepare topping by beating the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Fold in the whipped cream. Carefully spread the topping over the custard mixture. Cover and chill for several hours before serving. Cut into bars. Keep refrigerated!

2 comments:

Seeker said...

Put some rhubarb in the freezer for me.

audrey` said...

Thank you so much for sharing your special recipe with us, MaryM :)