Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Independence Day...

I must admit that part of the joy of grandparenting (or grand-aunting, for that matter) is watching your offspring and the generation of their peers do the business of parenting! (I had the opportunity to do that last week on the Fourth of July and am very happy with what I see!)
It is amazing to see them use their skills as these young parents gently shape and raise the young members of the next generation. It is sometimes hard work, but it is important business and they know it! They each use such different styles and have different temperaments, but they are meeting the unique needs of their youngsters!
I sometimes enjoy just watching...


I see them use their eyes and hands, their words and songs, their arms and hearts to love and nurture. They teach, they correct, they communicate, they make memories and they pass along our way of life. They are quick to explain things and they show their little ones respect and yet they have some expectations and rules and a few non-negotiables... They help them learn to work and grow and pray, and they foster independence.
I think they know exactly what they are doing! ...and it is my job to pray for them and for their little ones. I believe this is the way to preserve and perpetuate our faith, our family and our freedom.
...and, when done well, they will work themselves out of a job - just like I did!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Absolutely! I love watching my daughter and her husband with our two granddaughters. Recently I was with them for a short visit which included attendance at Wednesday evening prayer meeting. My son-in-law is a pastor so he had gone to the church earlier; my daughter and I brought the girls. When we turned in to the church parking lot my eldest granddaughter Melanie (age 3) began literally shrieking with delight, grinning from ear to ear. She started organizing her little purse (which contains her tiny Bible) and preparing to go to the nursery. My daughter says she loves everything about going to church. I was so blessed ... and then there was mealtime, after which my son-in-law reads a passage and we have prayer. "Put your hands together, Melanie," he instructed, and those little fingers came together so sweetly, like the picture of your little one above!

I guess this won't mean as much unless you know that Melanie has some developmental issues and does not talk yet. She was born with a cleft palate (not lip; only palate) which was closed in one surgery two years ago, but she is in speech therapy and has yet to say more than a few words. She is quite bright though, and such a darling.